Thursday, November 19, 2015

Thoughts on Shakespeare

I've read some interesting things about the Bard recently.  In the pros column is Virginia Woolf, who writes in her diary:
I read Shakespeare directly I have finished writing.  When my mind is agape and red-hot.  Then it is astonishing.  I never yet knew how amazing his stretch and speed and word coining power is, until I felt it utterly outpace and outrace my own, seeming to start equal and then I see him draw ahead and do things I could not in my wildest tumult and utmost press of mind imagine.  Even the less known plays are written at a speed that is quicker than anybody else’s quickest; and the words drop so fast one can’t pick them up.  Look at this.  “Upon a gather’d lily almost wither’d.”  (That is a pure accident.  I happen to light on it.)  Evidently the pliancy of his mind was so complete that he could furbish out any train of thought; and, relaxing, let fall a shower of such unregarded flowers.  Why then should anyone else attempt to write?  This is not “writing” at all.  Indeed, I could say that Shakespeare surpasses literature altogether, if I knew what I meant.
Heady praise coming from one of the 20th century's greatest writers.

Surprisingly, the cons column has a few adherents, as evidenced by this article.  Of note is Voltaire's commentary:
France has not insults, fool’s-caps, and pillories enough for such a scoundrel. My blood boils in my own veins while I speak to you about him … And the terrible thing is that … it is I myself who was the first to speak about this Shakespeare [in France]. I was the first who showed to the French a few pearls which I had found in his enormous dunghill.
Strong words from the man who purportedly introduced Shakespeare to the Continent.

Sometimes I find myself agreeing with Voltaire, but I'm the type of person to read Shakespeare for the sake of reading Shakespeare since it's such a critical part of literature.  His writings are constantly alluded to in other works such that there's no way to avoid reading Shakespeare even if you never actually read Shakespeare.  I remember reading somewhere once that after the Bible, the works of Shakespeare are the most referenced works of literature in writing (I think 3rd was Paradise Lost).  Not sure if this is true, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were.

A lot of people have an aversion to Shakespeare after high school English, but I would recommend you give him another try in your adulthood.  Hamlet is really long and tough to get through, but represents the Bard at his best.  No one really likes A Midsummer Night's Dream, but I think Henry V is probably the most underrated when gauged by the general public.  The histories in general are great.

Your own thoughts and experiences are appreciated.

No comments: